Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lances Summer meet write up

Well, it's the after the meet and everything has settled in, here is what went down yesterday at Lances Gym.

Took the extended trip to the gym, so it was a bus ride to Starbucks because I refuse to do any lifting without coffee in my system. I mean, I can, but I just dont want to. So I pick up my customary blonde roast with a ton of splenda and and chocolate powder and I was ready to roll.

I get to Lances and the Quads South group was already there along with Ed Coan. The group had several lifters and a couple have actually seen my videos on YouTube. (C'mon up north sometimes fellas! We got titties and beer by Wrigley)

Lifting started around 10:30 and the squat was first. My first attempt was around 540 something. Went and handled that. Then I called for my next attempt at 567, which is a couple pounds down from my March meet. It went bad as I brought my grip in a little to try and make my upper back tighter. As soon as I unracked the weight, I remembered why I ditched that grip and my right shoulder got immediately pissed. I concentrated too much on that and flattened out on the bottom. I ended up taking the same attempt and had to grind it out. No biggie.

Bench was up next and with the way I was feeling I just KNEW that 400+ was going to fall today. I KNEW it. My warmups went super easy, my first attempt at 350 was a smokeshow as well as my second attempt at 370. I knew this was the day...........or so I thought.

I get on the bench, blood is boiling, I get my set up tight, grab the bar, take my breaths and signal for the help for a liftoff. It comes down easy, stays on my chest and flies UP............until just above the halfway point. I had it........and lost it in a split second. I even was yelling in my mind "GOTCHA BITCH", but I guess I didn't. To say I was EXTREMELY disappointed was an understatement. The wait for a 400 plus competition bench awaits.

Deadlifts went. I honestly checked out after the bench and my knee was fucking with me. So what ever I could do I did. I ended the day with 611 on the dead and passed on my third attempt. Thats three 600 plus pound deadlifts for the year. I'll take it as a small victory.

Won best lifter and my class and my total is up about 11 pounds. I didnt qualify for Raw Unity in Tampa next year unfortunately, but theres a next time. I'm not sure what my next move is. I do think I'm done for the year however.

So to recap the year......

February: Rick Hussey SPF Memorial Meet: 1548
March(4 weeks later): XPC International Open: 1540
Yesterday(July 28th) USPF Lances Gym Summer Meet: 1551

Not bad I guess. So I guess a beer is in order sometime this week.

Thanks to all who have supported me and my lifting this year. I by no means wanted to do this many meets, but the Iron Bug hits you.....and you just want to compete and train. Special thanks to Matt Ladewski and Brian Carroll. Brian took over my squat training for the SPF meet and the XPC Meet while Matt took over my training for the USPF meet. Both are great coaches and I highly suggest using them at some point if you dont know where you need to go in your programming.

Thanks to O'Mallyes liquor kitchen for being flexible enough to go without a doorman during a busy series on the weekend (Cubs vs Cardinals) so I could smash weights. Hopefully I can get some free shots out of doing well at this meet. No? I tried..........

Thanks to my sister for just being there :-) Love you Tracey

Last but not least, thanks to God for allowing me to do something I love. I dont have to be alive right now, but he sees fit to keep me around. And I'm glad to be on the ride He has laid out for me.

No comments: