Sunday, May 15, 2011

This past week

As a lot of you already know, I graduated from Harold Washington College this week. I won't harp on it too much but I will say that it was a journey that took 3 years and it finally setting in that I graduated. I have to thank everyone that was there for me including my sister Tracey, Miguel, Kenisha, Tom Hagler, Greg, Troy, Big Mike and a host of others, but most importantly I have to thank God because it was through His strength I was able to finish.

After the ceremony on Wednesday, I was on the road on Thursday with Dominic Rivera and we rolled to London, Ohio for the EFS Learn to Train Seminar. For those that don't know Elite FTS is a strength training website that has a roster of athletes that have a background in primarily powerlifting, but are also versed in bodybuilding and nutrition. The people that are apart of the team helped lecture and coach on all things related to programming, movements, business, the history of the company, powerlifting gear usage and life in general.

The first day was lectures and I was looking forward to James Smith (Otherwise know as The Thinker of EFS) presentation of The Block Periodization Training Methodology: Application and Adaptability. Block Periodization has been something I have been interested in for awhile mainly because of the results that people have gotten from it. James went through 39 slides that were each well explained and broken down into terms that anyone could understand. Long story short, I wanted to try a block model for my training but I found out that looking at the numbers I currently have and seeing that Block Periodization is mainly for the elite athlete, I'm not ready for it just yet. James also answered questions that I had on putting together a Block model for when I am ready and he pointed me to different resources in which to find out more about it.

The next presenters were Jeremy Frey and Brian Caroll who Went through a Q/A about the squat, bench and deadlift. Premise of the hour without going into minute detail was that you need to be strong. Shut up and do work if you want to be good, and it dont matter if youre a raw or multiply gear lifter, you still need to be strong.

Mike Robertson and Ryan Smith showed up and gave us a talk about corrective exercise and it's impact on our total. We had a few messed up bodies there so this one was all ears by everyone. They went in-depth about mobility and stability in regards to warm-ups and we went through some sample exercises on Saturday which I'll save for another post.

Steve Pulcinella and Andy Deck did a presentation on Strongman and Pulcinella was hilarious! Andy and Steve went into their background and how to train for strongman. I was curious about trying to do strongman and quickly reversed my decision about that after an axle press on Saturday. I was surprised at how big Andy Deck is. He is a SOLID 240 and my 240 is not like his! Mine is sexier though!

Matt Kroc went into nutrition and here is the bottom line. You dont have to be fat to be a powerlifter, lose some weight, gain some mass and train.

After all that, we had and open Q/A with Jim Wendler and Dave Tate. I have to say that if you have an opportunity to hear either gentleman speak, DO IT! As far as what was said, if you weren't there, then you just wont know. ;-)

Ill have more tomorrow as Saturday was a training day.....that I am currently feeling right now in my entire posterior chain.

No comments: