Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bench day recap

So by now I'm sure that everyone has looked or at least heard of my debacle with my knee on Monday. It's good to go as in it's not as stiff as it was Monday and Tuesday. Just a bit sore and I'm sure I'll be able to resume some light -moderate squatting the week after next.

On Wednesday I went in to bench and was surprised my boy Greg showed up early. He's being coached by Matt Gary out of Maryland so our sessions are to push each other and coach each other and shoot the shit. I very much look forward to these sessions because it's largely a de-stresser for us although we try to smash pr's.

Bench for me went like this: Warmups, 250/3, 280/3, 305/3, 325/1, 350/1, 375/ miss, 1

I missed 375 the first time because i just wasn't tight enough. The second time I took it, I remember the setup Frey had me do at Learn to Train and the adjustments Greg had me do and I got it up. I was reminded of what Julia Ladewski said to me at the seminar in that you have to strain because you may get that lift thats a grinder and last 5 seconds, so I need to learn how to do that. I also need to not fear the weight and keep my steup TIGHT. Gonna get the back bigger too.

I've learned that bench is just not my specialty lift, and that I'm going to have get insanely strong to handle any decent amount of weight. And my ultimate goal is to have a raw press of 500. Long way to go, but it's about the journey.

No deadlifting but back and plenty of hamstring work and the same goes for next Monday. I'll resume deadlifting next Friday but for reps. Upward and onward!!

No comments: