Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Refection..........

So I'm sitting here at a transfer/graduation seminar at my school. I'm looking over my sheet and having a meeting with an advisor as to what plan of action I need to take to graduate with my associates.........I have one class left. ONE.

And I really may not even need that one because I just had ten credits evaluated off my SMART(military transcript), and one of the courses listed on my transcript is a requirement. So the SMART credit takes care of that. I am still a long way off of where I need to be.....long way off. But I'm close....VERY CLOSE.

To some an associates means nothing. To me, this may mean more than a bachelors degree.

Let me explain.


All things(well, almost all) things happen for a reason. Me and my wife separated a week before Thanksgiving in 2007. I lost my job that August, my car engine got screwed up and caught fire on the expressway a month before I was laid off. Basically the position I was in, I was NOT supposed to be in. There were reasons for me staying in it, but shit happens(and I know a certain person will read this, it's not anyones fault, although you can call and at least let me know how they are doing instead of not responding to my calls....rant over)

I moved in with family, that didn't work initially. Shit happens, and no ones fault once again, but I swear that God(I really don't care what you believe in, he's MY Lord and Saviour) put me in a position for me to get to know my father before he passed.

I was named after him. His was Larry Basil Brown, and mine was Larry Rassan. No, I don't go by Rassan.

Once again, I was working and at a standstill during the summer of 2008. I was mad, confused, angry. What did I need to do. I went the course I wanted to do for awhile. I went to school in the fall of 2008. Initially, it was fine, but the shit became a grind....a hard grind. Then it hit the fan last fall when my dad had an asthma attack and that proved to be his last one. But that last year and a half with him, I would NOT trade for the world. Bears football every Sunday with pizza, me calling him a cripple(he had arthritis in his back) and him calling me a meathead. Him giving me life lessons, and him motivating me to stay in school(he pressured me for the LONGEST, maybe thats the main reason I went into the military. I didn't want his advice among other things) When I got the call that he passed, it hurt a bit, but he was ready to go. He could breathe, I could breathe not worrying if I was going to get a phone call from him in the middle of the night of him crying because his back went out.

at this point I'm going to tell people with family members on prednisone to make sure they are the right dosage and do they really need to be on it. Question these doctors, because most are full of shit.

But it was hard last fall in school because I was dealing with his death, it got easier the subsequent spring, and now I sit here one class away from an associates. I went through shit emotionally, and academically to get here. I will go through more of the same when I get to Ohio State(and I WILL get there) but I'll be better prepared.

The road to personal goals are long and hard, consider it part of the journey, and relish it. You will get knocked on your ass, and you will cry. But you keep crying and keep getting coddled, you will not move forward in anything. We all have our moments when we are weak and vulnerable, but they are just that.

Moments. Discard the painful one, keep the joyous ones and the ones that you can learn from. If you can only learn from the painful one....so be it, but don't swim in them.

Training post later tonight......I think I've let you into my psyche enough for today.


Dedicated to: Countless people, you know who you are.

Larry

No comments: