Friday, January 31, 2014

Past Weeks Training and the parallel between Lifting and Journalism

Past week training:

Shoulders: Sunday:

Behind The Neck Press: 
Bar/ LOTS of reps
95/12,12
135/8
155/6
185/5,5

Laterals:
25/15
30/15
40/10,10

Plate Raises:
25/15
50/12,12,12

Rear Delt Flyes:
4 sets

Pressdowns: Until my arms felt like Kevin Levrone’s


Squats: Monday:

Seated Leg Curl: 
40/12
70/12
100/12
120/10,12

Squats: 
Bar/12
135/12
185/12
225/8
275/2
315/3,3

Leg Press:
2pl/15
3pl/15
5pl/10,12

Leg Extension:
105/12
135/15,15

Chins: 2 sets
Dips:2 sets

Bench: Wednesday:

Bench Press:
Bar/40
135/14
185/10
225/5
275/5
315/3,3,3

Incline Barbell:
135/12
185/10
225/8
245/5,3

Machine Flyes:
3 sets

Dips: 4 sets
Chins:3 sets

This week was better than last week, but still only so so in the strength department in my opinion. It’s coming back though. My technique stinks a bit(I’m being generous) and I’m fixing some minute things on the bench so I can become better at the lift. One thing I’m noticing is that I do too many reps on the lighter sets. I need to bring those down and really exert myself on the work sets. As it stands now, I’m keeping the volume up and pushing forward. 

My squats……..lets just say they are a work in progress. My set up sucked and I have to use back to low bar. It’s going to come. I just have to be patient. 


How Journalism and Lifting are Damn Near the Same. 

I want people to stay with me here for a moment.

We had a speaker yesterday, a sports journalist from ESPN by the name of Shelly Smith. She went into sports journalism when not very many women were in the field. She spoke of getting better by doing reps. So being the meathead I am, I immediately picked up. So here are some things that came to mind as I was listening to her speak. 

You have to do things all the time to get better at it.  
Shelly explained that she doe’s live shot (where she is live on location reporting) and she has been doing live shot after live shot after live shot. This resounded with me. Anyone that knows me knows I have training ADD. I flip flop programs. But the one thing that I do believe is that to press more, you have to press more. To squat more, you have to squat more. The same with journalism. You have to do things repeatedly and refine your approach each time. 

Mistakes happen
Smith also explained that mistakes happen. Her and my professor said it’s what you do after is what matters. I’ve had day’s where I have a REALLY bad session. I mean a complete shit show. Instead of going in a corner and crying, I sit down and analyze what happened. Did I drink enough water? Food intake at a decent level? Did I sleep? What about stress? It’s how you recover from the mistake and keep on rolling is what matters. 

Have Passion:
While she didn't explicitly say this, I picked up on it. Shelly Smith enjoys her fucking job even though she’s only at home for a couple days. You have to love what you do. Will everyday be perfect? No, but if you keep going, what you do won’t feel like a job. I love training and will continue to love training until the day I leave this earth, so theres that.

Have a Social Life:
I'm bad about this. I just have little desire to go out and get drunk on the weekends like so many others do. But if Smith can have a relationship and still have fun in life, then I can get off my ass and be more social. Don't take that as Larry is going to be out tweaking, because it’s far from that. 

Social Media is good, but be careful:
I will not expound on a certain incident in powerlifting this week. It doesn't concern me, however I will say this. Be careful how you use social media. Smith uses it for possible news leads and to network for information for her job. Not as an emotional sounding board(points finger at myself. I've gotten better). Use twitter and Facebook for tips and news in strength training, nutrition and physique building. Connect with people who will make you better. Not to pout your feelings into the Universe. 

Be Observant:
Smith related a story to my class about how she was at a Denver Broncos press conference shortly before they played the New England Patriots. She observed Peyton Manning sitting down on the FLOOR studying practice film. He was using every last bit of time to prepare for the AFC Championship. Pay attention to what your training program is doing. It’s not meant to be just blind walking. Even if you are using a pre set program. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. Be observant of aches and pains and the like. 


That’s some of the lessons I learned from yesterday. Hopefully I can impart to you some of the same things Ms. Smith imparted to me, even though she didn't realize it. 

No comments: