Friday, May 11, 2018

Pumptastic: High Octane Arms


High Volume “Que Bomb” Arm Workout : 5-10-17

Biceps

Cable curl (Freemotion machine) 4 x10

Dumbbell Preacher Hammer Curl: 4 x 10

Barbell Curls: 3 x 8

Standing Alternate DB Curl: 3 sets of 8

Concentration Curls: 2 sets of 10

Hammer Strength Preacher Curls: 2 sets of 10 (rest pause)



Triceps:

Standing extensions: 4 sets of 12

Close Grip Bench Presses: 3 sets of 5-8

Dips: 7 sets of 10-15

Pressdowns: 3 sets of 10




As I said in the YouTube vid, this was supposed to be week four of Gamma Bomb with arms on deck. But the sun was out today and I felt like looking like I was a third member of the Legion of Doom, so I said fuck it and kept some of the workout the same, but not much because I had to be OWT! Because I’m the bruhz!

When I say high volume for arms, I mean HIGH VOLUME. Not Sergio Oliva level, but enough to get a solid pump (my bi’s in particular) and basically look jacked. 

Conversely, these workouts are NOT the norm for me. I don’t really push the sets and reps up because I get in a ton of torso work. It’s also a lot squeezing done for arm workouts as well. As i sit here before work and type this out, I remembered why I don’t go high volume for arms, because they hurt and cramp like a mofo right now. Jesus…………

But seriously, this type of training for bigger bodyparts can be an awesome change of pace if you’ve been doing low to moderate volume for some time now. The funny thing about training is that it definitely goes in natural cycles. Now that the sun is out and the the temps are up, I push the volume up on everything a bit, even as I follow a pre-programmed routine (nothing is set in stone with me unless it’s meet prep).

High volume also pairs well with intra-workout nutrition. The days of drinking plain water is gone (for the most part) and ingredients that help get good nutrition to the muscle is now key in getting solid gains.

As long as you have good nutrition, especially around your training, the sky’s the limit. Makes me wonder how guys in the 80’s and 90’s would look with the knowledge we have now. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.


Speaking of the 90's.....here's a pic of Kevin Levrone doing cable curls






No comments: