Saturday, March 10, 2018

Sick Trip Home: Vacation Doing's, Some Thoughts and Plans




Trips home are always great, in fact, very much needed. But they aren’t that great when you’re under the weather. Which is pretty much what I was. 

Home Sweet Home: Back in 2019





I left for Chicago last week, but earlier that same week I started to get a bit under the weather. That Monday before the trip was the fucking worst. I barely ate, could only keep down light liquids and struggled to make it through my shift at work. It persisted for the week and I went on my trip that Friday. Saturday…….oh boy. I went to Quads Gym to train legs and it was complete ass. I mean, the shittiest workout I’ve had in awhile. But I just chalked it up and did what I could. 

Monday came around and I felt a bit better but un-inspired as as an Amy Schumer Comedy. At this point my seasonal asthma started to kick in (I get it around spring and asthma runs in the family.) Thank God my cousin had a spare inhaler for me to use.
Back day was good at BrickHaus Fitness in Wheaton (great gym with great equipment.) My goal was to row the 200 lb dumbbells for 8 reps. But guess what? I’m not strong enough. 






While I’m on the subject of gyms and what not, just had a revelation. There is a severe lack of bodybuilders in Quads Gym. I mean pretty bad. I find it funny. Some will drive miles for bad weed, shitty sex and a goddamn cheat meal, but will bitch to the high heavens about driving to Quads and they live in the city. 

Does the parking suck? Yes…..

Is the North Side congested? Yes…….

Will you find a better equipped gym in Chicago? No……

Will you have great workouts? Yes…..

Look, I’m not going to sit here and say you have to go for EVERY training session. But shit…..bust out your comfort zone, get the hell up and train where you can get better. 

If you’re living in the burbs, this does not apply to you, because I know you guys hate going to the store for bread (“Oh, I thought we had some already……)

And if you have weak legs or a shallow back….you should for absolutely be training at Quads. 

On a broader scope, there needs to be some level of sacrifice if you’re going to compete. It just is. I understand if you don’t have any other gyms around, but if you have to take a commute to a QUALITY gym…..get on the goddamn train. 


                                            Quick Note on "Tha Ahhnold"




The Arnold Classic went about how I expected it to go. I picked William Bonac to win and he did it pretty convincingly. Dexter Jackson took second and looked phenomenal like he always doe’s, but Bonac just had too much muscle with tight condition. In my opinion, the distance increased when Bonac and Jackson turned around to the back. 


And the funny thing is that both men will be in GREAT shape at the Olympia.

Cedric McMillian rounded out the top three after being last years champion. He was clearly off this year in condition, and nowhere near his award winning form. Not sure what happened, but hopefully he squares it away soon. He’s too dominant of a body to not be onstage in Las Vegas, but he has to improve on what he showed in Ohio to be a factor. 


Getting some interviews lined up for the blog that I hope you all will enjoy. Looking to talk with some dynamic and unique up and comers in bodybuilding and beyond. 




-Larry

No comments: