Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Power of Choice


I have a confession guys........I'm really not enjoying the gym or even work right now.

Call it Mercury Retrograde.....call it the changing of the seasons. Hell, call me a lazy piece of shit for all I care. But the bottom line is this, I'm not really enjoying what I do.

But here's the thing, I've made a conscious choice to eat shit and like it for right now. Let's take today for example, I did want to go to the gym. I wanted to leave work, take a nap, and then train.....if do it at all.

I check on my training partner as he's kind of beat to shit (but highly motivated as he's in prep for a powerlifting meet.) I only wanted to see how he was doing. I mention I want a nap after work.....and he tell's me to slam a pre-workout and get it done.

Now keep in mind, I'm a grown man and can make decisions for myself.....and I still had the CHOICE to go home, but reading my friends words reminded me of a chapter out of one of the current books I'm going through (told you I'm reading a lot).

The chapter was out of the "Discipline Means Freedom Field Manual" by Jocko Willink. Now I don't get into rah-rah self help talk, but Jocko I can get behind. The chapter is called "Not Feeling It" and it aptly describes how I felt this morning. But I want to share a brief excerpt with you.

"How do I handle those days when I'm just not "feeling it? Those days when I'm tired or worn out or just sick of grind. What do I do on those days?

I GO ANYWAY, I GET IT DONE"

Making your Choice: Don't Fuck Off

What Jocko and I are saying to you, is that you make or break yourself in every decision you make.

The power of choice is a strong. It can literally make or break you. I didn't want to write this blog, but I made a choice to share my thoughts, in hopes it will push someone to go and do something.

I need to pay rent, so I get up and go to work and make decisions that affect my team, the presentation of my show and ultimately.....choices that make me look good. Therefore, affecting my paycheck.

I slammed my pre-workout and went to the gym because I want to look good and feel good. Were they easy choices to make....for me, yes, in a way. I could be a little bitch and call off. But where would that get me. It would have me looking in the mirror knowing I screwed myself out of getting better.

Good Choices and Bad Choices: Know the Difference

Now lets be aware...there are good and bad decisions. We've all made them.

That food we shouldn't eaten...

That phone number we shouldn't have made...

That sex we shouldn't have had with a person we are trying to cut out...

We know what bad choices are. So we need to quiet that voice that says "It's ok to eat those chips, drink that drink" etc.

It's a son of a bitch to quiet. But if you can, you are well on your way to doing the things you need to do to be better.

Push a little harder today to make those good choices. I promise you, you won't lack for it.

No comments: