Saturday, February 11, 2012

SPF Rick Hussey Memorial Meet

So I ended up doing a meet in Elkhorn, Ne which is not to far from Omaha and it was an SPF meet. Meaning monolift. Meaning something I dont train in. Nonetheless I went forward and tried to do what I do. So I'll break this down by lift.

Squat: I knew I was in a bit of trouble in the warm up room. I have the strength, but getting use to the mono is a tough thing. I've lifted out of mono's before, but today was especially hard for some reason. I'm not sure why as I didn't really care about it and considered the mono a non-factor. First two attempts I walked the weight out. I hit my opener of 501 and shit the bed on my last two. Dave Hoff was one of the side judges and told me that my chest caves and my butt comes up. I'll take that on the second attempt, but on my third, I thought I nailed it. It's cool. Not bitching, and I have two weeks to get form right or at least adjust it to the mono.

Bench: Opened conservatively and reaped the rewards of it. Finished at 380 which is 11 pounds off my all tie pr in a meet (which was 391) so I'm going in the right direction in regards to the bench. Dave Hof said I had more in me after the meet.

Deadlift: Was going to play it conservative but said fuck it and went for the over 600 deadlift. My first two attempts went up like paper, so I figured why not set the bar higher for myself for Columbus, Ohio and get it. I ended up smashing 633 and will try for 650 in Ohio.

Reflections: Well getting stronger is always a priority and for have a stressful few weeks, I think I did well in retrospect. Th butter flies are now gone so I can just be as violent as possible for Columbus. I'm there to set records for myself and the rest don't matter. It was also good to see Big Iron Gym members lift for someone who impacted their lives. It was their former powerlifting coaches memorial meet and they did well. Was great to see people I've only read about in magazines.

Met a couple guys who I lifted with a couple years ago in the APF Raw Power Challenge. Its great to see lifters still involved.

All in all, a good day, but PLENTY of room for improvement. Onward.

Thanks everyone for the support. And even if you don't or play like you don't, I still love ya anyway!

No comments: