Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Training and the NPC USA.

I've kicked off prep for the NPC Illinois Ironman. It takes place on November 2nd and I'm actually looking forward to showing up conditioned this time. First workout was legs/back and was designed by Jennifer Petrosino. I have liberty to play around with it, but I'm trying to follow things to a T right now. We give each other feedback based on what the mirror is saying as well.

I don't have far down to go, so I'm trying to get in my best shape possible.




Legs/back

Squats:
Bar/10
135/10
185/3
225/8 x 5

On all my sets with 225, there was a 5 second eccentric, one second in the bottom position and a explode on the way up.

Lat Pulldowns:
80/10
120/10
180/5
120/20

Leg press:
3 sets of 10 (4 second eccentric)

Leg extension
3 minute timed set

This was an abbriviated workout as me and a buddy helped out Ben Pakulski (2nd place finalist at the Arnold Classic) out with getting him hooked up with food while he's in town. I'm trying to be a bit better about my time with workouts and what not, but somedays I just get caught. Yesterday was that kind of a day.

It was a good session overall and having more time under tension is something I'm really striving for. I'm also playing around with angles in certain exercises to make sure I'm hitting the muscle the way it should be hit and not just lifting. Although somedays I may get a wild hair and do that, I'm trying to minimize those days. But hell........somedays deadlifts be calling me.

NPC USA

I was going to make one big, blow out post about it, but everyone else has it covered pretty well and I'd only be repeating things everyone has heard. I will say that Max Charles was a deserving winner. He still has work to do to become a big time pro, but I say he should test his mettle in Tampa. It's not far off, he has time to come in a bit tighter and see where he stands. Golden opportunity in my eyes.

Heavyweights were called correctly. Rafael Jamarillo (sp) has never really not come in shape. He was always shredded, but lacked a bit of that "umph" to push him in the pro card circle. Cant really say that now. Matt Burzacott did himself justice. Very flowing physique and did right by going back to work in the gym to make a name for himself. Another year and he may take the class.

Kevin Ofurum was a deserving winner in the light heavys. He could've been a tad drier, but no one was really dry (I blame the vegas heat). Caleb Blanchard moved up a few spots from 5th to 2nd and has a pretty good back double biceps. Joseph Hubbard was in the mix with some good conditioning although he appeared a bit flattish in the upper body. Thomas Linihan has the potential to leapfrog everyone and take this class. I think he had the best structure out of the lineup. He must be tighter though to make that a reality.

The middleweights were a bit smooth for my liking which is uncharacteristic of middles in pro qualifiers. Breon Ansley looked good, but needs more work to make himself noticibale in a 212 show. The second(Chuck Williams) and third place(Robert Whichman) looked fine, but could've came down more. All the aforementioned gentlemen need to take their conditioning to another level, especially Ansley since he's a pro now, to move up the ranks. Good thing is that it's not impossible

Pretty much the same thing for the welters. Delcampo, Hester (a blast for the past), Aman, Vengas and San Juan have work to do. I will say that San Juan could've been moved up a spot if he was fuller at prejudging. If he filled out, he may have been as high as 2nd or 3rd. But he showed a degree of hardness the other guys, DelCampo included, didn't show.

Derek Leverant has to have the best pair of legs I've seen on a lightweight. Back double bicep is impressive as well. Luis Moreno has a great structure, but just came in pretty smooth for a show of that caliber. He can do Nationals and possibly take that class however. Martae Ruelas could take Nationals as well. Everything is there, he just needs to come in grainy hard.

Richie Langit and Eric Yamashita in the bantams didn't even push the envelope in the bantams as far as conditioning. That is very unusual as they usually show some pretty sick conditioning.

If I sound like I'm repeating myself a bit with "conditioning, conditioning, conditioning"......I am. What was showed in all class winners and top five guys, won't cut it on a pro stage. Things become doubly hard when you have "IFBB" attached to your name.

Thats all I have for now. Chest and shoulders tonight.

Later

No comments: