Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bodybuilding Journalism


Bodybuilding Journalism

First off, I love the sport of bodybuilding. I think it’s a great endeavor that anyone can get in and it’s for sure had a positive effect on my life. 
THAT BEING SAID……
Some who write for other sites and try to discredit one of the sports top professionals is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. I get that bodybuilding is a gossipy industry (thats another blog post all together) but to write a whole article based on assumption of an individual you only see on a limited basis is the very thing thing we need to avoid in the business.
If people like it or not, once you put words to paper (or screen) and it get puts out there, you become a journalist even if you didn’t have formal training for it, so all of us in the industry need to act accordingly.
1: No heresy  if you get a tip, follow up as best you can. If the tip doesn’t pan out or said pro or guru is tight lipped, then you really can’t break it as breaking news. And no anonymous  sources. Don’t even come to me with “ol boy heard this” or “Ol boy heard that”. I don’t get a name, I aint reporting it.
2: It ain’t about you, even in an editorial: I’m guilty of this but after I wrote one piece where I made it about me, I realized that it should’ve been more about the competitors. Seriously  it makes you look like a dick. 
3: Quit assuming what people do: We don’t know a persons mindset and what makes us qualified to do so?
4: Don’t assume, I cant say this enough.
The piece I read was sensationalism. Unless your’e a beat reporter, and with a person everyday and tracking their every move, then stay away from the sensationalistic and accusing pieces. 

No comments: